Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: Backdoor GPL in message-digest

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: Backdoor GPL in message-digest
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 12:18:42 +0200

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:08:56AM +0100, Alaric Snell-Pym wrote:
> Hmmm. Perhaps the answer, then, is to make a nice (public domain!)
> plugin-registry egg that handles this for us.

Feel free to write one :)

> >Also note that the LGPL is incompatible with the GPL in that you cannot
> >link a LGPL library or program to a GPL library(!)   I think if we build
> >a license checking feature into chicken-install, it should handle
> >incompatible licenses in general.
>
> Hmmm, true. As long as this can be done with a simple (read:
> non-bloating) extension inside chicken-install, with all the evil stored
> in some kind of license metadata.

Yeah. I think chicken-install could have a simple alist of
license->incompatible licenses  or license->compatible licenses
for each license.

I'm not sure what to do about unknowns though.  I'm sure nobody is going
to like checking each and every license's interaction with other licenses.

> Also, I think that chicken-install should not *forbid* license clashes,
> merely *warn* about them. License clashes are generally a problem for
> people wanting to distribute binaries, and not an issue at all for
> people just hacking around at home, right?

Agreed.  But some projects by people hacking around at home have a
tendency to become larger, and then it can become an issue.  So I
think the warning should be VERY INSISTENT about it ;)

We could do it ala pkgsrc: block it by default, and allow it if you
set an override (which should be mentioned in the warning message).

But let's start with a simple warning.

http://sjamaan.ath.cx
                                                        -- Donald Knuth