Re: [Chicken-hackers] make target boot-chicken ignore ARCH and compiler

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] make target boot-chicken ignore ARCH and compiler flags
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 08:49:58 -0400

Sven Hartrumpf scripsit:

> I am trying to bootstrap chicken (git version) on a 64bit machine as a
> 32bit build. The boot-chicken target ignores ARCH

That's certainly a bug.  Two workarounds to try:

1) Set ARCH as an exported environment variable before you start to
build.  Make will read variables from the environment as well as the
command line.  (Indeed, I routinely set PLATFORM this way before I build
anything, so I don't have to remember to use it on every make command
line.)

2) Failing that, try one of the 32-bit bootstrap compilers at
http://code.call-cc.org/bootstrap . They may be too old for 4.7; I don't
know.  Just put it somewhere on $PATH and you should be able to make
Chicken without needing to make boot-chicken.

I used to do this at Google, where 32-bit Linux userlands on 64-bit
kernels were typical for development machines.

--
Some people open all the Windows;       John Cowan
wise wives welcome the spring           address@hidden