[Chicken-hackers] Parenthesis synonyms change

From: Peter Bex
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Parenthesis synonyms change
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 16:10:25 +0200

Hi all,

Today I noticed that changeset bcb76e2997f8ec631a1a0f081980808d857eec15
was pushed to the master branch, which changes the csi and csc
commandline option `-no-parentheses-synonyms' to `-no-parenthesis-synonyms'.

I'm sure the change was made with the best intentions of fixing a
trivial spelling mistake, but it definitely would've benefited
from discussion on the list because it's a breaking change for
people who are relying on this switch in their (build) scripts.

Furthermore, the change is not mentioned in NEWS and is incomplete;
the option is only renamed for csi, not for csc, but the documentation
and help say it should work for both.  Our peer review process
*probably* would've caught these issues.

Anyway, I'm asking if this change could please be reverted and
a (possibly improved) patch posted to the list for discussion.

http://sjamaan.ath.cx
                                                        -- Donald Knuth