Re: [Chicken-hackers] Parenthesis synonyms change

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Parenthesis synonyms change
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 07:24:02 -0700

On Apr 7, 2012, at 7:10 AM, Peter Bex wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today I noticed that changeset bcb76e2997f8ec631a1a0f081980808d857eec15
> was pushed to the master branch, which changes the csi and csc
> commandline option `-no-parentheses-synonyms' to `-no-parenthesis-synonyms'.
>
> I'm sure the change was made with the best intentions of fixing a
> trivial spelling mistake,

Spelling was correct & the use of the plural was correct.

parenthesis |pəˈrenTHəsis|

noun ( pl. parentheses |-ˌsēz| )

a word, clause, or sentence inserted as an explanation or afterthought into a
passage that is grammatically complete without it, in writing usually marked
off by curved brackets, dashes, or commas.

• (usu. parentheses) one or both of a pair of marks () used to include such a
word, clause, or sentence.

• an interlude or interval: the three months of coalition government were a
lamentable political parenthesis.