[Chicken-hackers] -O5 vs. -optimize-level 5

From: Sven Hartrumpf
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] -O5 vs. -optimize-level 5
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:43:39 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all.

I stumbled across these lines in csc.scm:

               [(|-O5|)
                (set! rest (cons* "-optimize-level" "5" rest))
                (when (memq (build-platform) '(mingw32 cygwin gnu clang))
                  (set! compile-options
                    (cons* "-O3" "-fomit-frame-pointer" compile-options)) ) ]

Four arguments against this when-statement:

1. It seems that -O5 does more than -optimize-level 5, which is undocumented
and inconsistent.

2. Furthermore, -fomit-frame-pointer might not help much if the underlying
chicken was built without this option (if I remember correctly).

3. -O3 is often not the best choice for speed, so I would recommend not to
intervene with the settings from the chicken build.

4. Finally, gcc takes the _last_ -O option if several are given, so -O3 has no
effect if "compile-options" contains any -O2 or similar.

In short: Please consider deleting the when-statement ...

Greetings
Sven