Re: [Chicken-hackers] Enabling -scrutinize by default?

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Enabling -scrutinize by default?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 23:07:58 +0200 (CEST)

From: Christian Kellermann <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:40:08 +0200

> Hi,
>
> what is the current opinion about enabling -scrutinize by default?  I
> vaguely remember something like "too many bogus warnings" but that has
> been *ages* ago, does that still hold?

I think there are only two warnings in the build, one in the
implementation of "process" (posix), where a conditional has a
non-matching number of return-values and in chicken-install, I forgot
what it was. DEBUGBUILD enables scrutiny. So here it may be ok to
enable it by default.

If you mean for all user programs, on the other hand, I'm not so
sure. If a user does redefinitions of primitives, the warnings will be
misleading. One usually doesn't do that, but you know how those
Schemers are: they want top performance and total generality and all
at the same time.