Re: [Chicken-hackers] r7rs modules

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] r7rs modules
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 11:27:04 -0500

Felix scripsit:

> I totally agree with John here.

I'm glad you agree with me, Doctor!

> Chicken-style modules could freely access R7RS-style modules using the
> single-word-module-name (see below).

Just so.

> The core system would only be modified to provide what is
> absolutely necessary, including semantic changes to existing
> definitions.

Excellent.  This is already well underway in the numbers egg.

> What about something like "(foo goo bar-baz)" ->
> "foo~goo~bar-baz"? (or "foo.goo.bar-baz"?)

Hmm.  How about this idea:

Use - unless one or more of the names contains -, in which case
Use ~ unless one or more of the names contains ~, in which case
Use . unless one or more ...

and as far forward as you want, defined by a string somewhere
that gives the priority order.  Furthermore, the single-word
name should also *begin* with the chosen delimiter, so that
it's unambiguous which it is.

--
I am expressing my opinion.  When my            John Cowan
honorable and gallant friend is called,         address@hidden