Re: [Chicken-hackers] r7rs modules

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] r7rs modules
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:30:26 -0500

Peter Bex scripsit:

> We could easily extend this to scheme#base#+  to indicate the +
> identifier from the (scheme base) module.  This would fit neatly with
> my proposal of mapping egg modules to be simply wrapped in a list:
> (uri-generic) being the r7rs-module representation of the "uri-generic"
> module.  The algorithm would be: chop the symbol at the #, pick
> the last part as the identifier name and the rest in a list is the
> module name.

The only downside with that is when you're dealing with the shell, where
# is a reserved character.  So you end up with files named scheme#base.scm,
which have to be properly escaped in constructing shell command lines --
a delicate area.

After trying out (mentally) a lot of different possibilities, I think
the best and simplest approach is to use "_".  This is valid and safe
in almost all contexts, including Scheme identifiers, but Schemers
(and Lispers generally) rarely actually use it in their identifiers, as
our culture considers it ugly.  If it does happen to appear in an R7RS
library name like (a_b c_d), it can be doubled to produce a__b_c__d.

--
Where the wombat has walked,            John Cowan <address@hidden>
it will inevitably walk again.          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan