Re: [Chicken-hackers] software-type and software-version for android

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] software-type and software-version for android
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:00:26 +0100

* Moritz Heidkamp <address@hidden> [130221 17:49]:
> Christian Kellermann <address@hidden> writes:
> > Probably android for both, since android does not come with all
> > posix things. pthreads for example.
>
> That's not quite true, is it? See
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/prebuilts/ndk/+/master/8/platforms/android-9/arch-arm/usr/include/pthread.h

Ah the NDK...

> I vote for software-type unix, too, although it is unclear to me what
> this actually means :-) POSIX compliance can't be sufficient factor as
> Windows has that, too. Unix [tm] can't be as well as that would
> disqualify Linux.

Ok, instead of doing further guesswork, I checked the source.  Well
the software type is used to branch off to do system dependend
things in csc (generate a manifest for windows), in eval.scm to do
the windows dll loading dance. So if you want to support android
and will do different things while compiling (providing a correct
manifest etc.) having a distinct 'android type still makes more
sense to me than declaring it all unix. Android is definitely not
unix at all.

Cheers,

Christian

--
In the world, there is nothing more submissive and weak than
water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong, nothing can