[Chicken-hackers] How to submit patches to "chicken-hackers"

From: Felix
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] How to submit patches to "chicken-hackers"
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 22:33:17 +0100 (CET)

Hello!

I have noticed that recently there has been some confusion about the
correct way to submit patches to this mailing list, so I hope it helps
clarifying the situation when I give, to the best of my knowledge, our
preferred format here:

Patches are best produced with git(1)'s "format-patch" command and
attached to your mail. Do not include the patches inline, because,
depending on the mail client, it may be awkward or impossible to use
"git am" directly on the mail body, requiring to cut out the patch
from the mail text. Also, it would be good if the patch mail includes
some explanatory text which will make it easier for the person that is
reviewing and/or applying the patch.

There are probably many ways to improve this format, yet, this is
what we usually do, and since the number of patches that have to
be reviewed is currently growing, it is a good idea to make it
as easy and convenient as possible for the reviewers.

Thanks *very* much to everybody who helps us improving CHICKEN by
sending patches. We do our best to keep up with it (well, not me, I'm
a lazy bum - but Peter, Christian, Mario, Moritz and Jim certainly
do).

Thanks again.