Re: [Chicken-hackers] -emit-inline-file and implying -inline/-local

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] -emit-inline-file and implying -inline/-local
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:42:20 +0100

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:34:44PM +0100, Felix wrote:
> Hello!
>
> The "-emit-inline-file"/"-oi" option currently implies the "-inline"
> and "-local" options. This was intended as a convenience measure (it
> doesn't make much sense, otherwise), but may not be entirely obvious
> to the user. I think it would be better to remove those implied
> options and rely on explicit options or on the optimization level (-O3
> and higher).
>
> A patch is attached. Or does this require a change-request?

I've never used this option, but I've done a few quick experiments.
It looks like with this patch, -emit-inline-file does nothing at all
unless I also add -local (so that it knows what can be inlined), but
-inline isn't neccessary to get any output.

I generally dislike implicit behaviour but in this case it makes more
sense to have this option imply at least -local, because otherwise it
has no effect at all.  I guess since you're inlining stuff anyway,
adding -inline makes sense as well (but I can imagine getting rid of
that one).

So all in all, I think see much use of this patch.  But again, I don't
use this feature, so it's quite possible that I'm misunderstanding
something.

What do others think?

http://www.more-magic.net