Re: [Chicken-hackers] r7rs-tasks

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] r7rs-tasks
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 22:57:50 -0400

Felix scripsit:

> "numbers" already provides the numerical operations required in R7RS.

We made sure that R7RS doesn't impose any more complexity than R5RS does:
a fixnum/flonum tower like the Chicken core has is perfectly conformant.
You'll need exact-integer-sqrt and such, but those wouldn't be hard to
copy in.

> And I would like to avoid having the user do "(import numbers)" for
> "standard" R7RS code. I'm sure sjamaan will insist on full numeric tower
> support by default (heb ik gelijk?)

Well, perhaps so.  I do tend to import numbers right away myself, but
I don't import them into a module unless it requires them.

> Ugh. Of course. Thanks for telling me. So this is not a global setting,
> and the default is to not fold case, right?

Right.

> What about platform/cpu/os? Are the default chicken features
> sufficient?

If Chicken knows these things, it might as well provide them in the standard
R7RS way as well as the native Chicken style.  If it doesn't know them,
don't worry about them.

> > A library name may not begin with a modifier-keyword like only.
> > The important thing here is that in an R7RS library or program, import
> > is Chicken's use.
>
> That means it imports the bindings _and_ loads the relevant library
> code, recursing on dependencies of imported libraries, right?

Correct.  The idea is that if you import a library, the only way that can
fail is because the library doesn't exist or it's corrupt in some way,
not because you haven't loaded the code yet.  Whether the code gets
reloaded when it's reimported is up to the implementation, though.

--
You know, you haven't stopped talking           John Cowan
since I came here. You must have been           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan