Re: [Chicken-hackers] Fix solaris9 build for missing trunc, round, isinf

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Fix solaris9 build for missing trunc, round, isinf math functions
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:27:00 +0200

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 07:10:00PM +0200, Florian Zumbiehl wrote:
> AFAICT, there are a few more bugs in there, in particular in the handling
> of infinities and NaN, and I think even the number handling is incorrect in
> more corner cases, but I currently don't have the time to think about that
> in detail.

I think now is a good time to consider whether we want to (continue)
support for SunCC.  It's a buggy piece of shit which has not active
development to speak of (no C99 in a *commercial* compiler?  Please!),
and there are good and easily-available alternatives available for
Solaris and its free descendants (notably clang and gcc).

Of course, it *is* the de facto compiler for Solaris, but every sysadmin
knows where to get alternatives.  In that sense it's similar to our
GNU Make requirement for BSD and Solaris.  On the other hand, I don't
really want to get the situation where you have to install half of Linux
on non-Linux platforms just to make Chicken work...

PS: Isn't this something libm needs to take care of rather than the
C compiler?  If so, gcc or clang builds are broken on Solaris, too,
which I'd consider a lot worse.  This patch doesn't fix it, then!
It's better to put the C_SOLARIS definition in Makefile.solaris instead
of looking at the compiler environment.

http://www.more-magic.net