Re: [Chicken-hackers] plain lambdas as syntax transformers

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] plain lambdas as syntax transformers
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 05:47:24 -0400

Felix scripsit:

> I know this is going to be controversial, but I'd like to un-deprecate
> the use of plain procedures as syntax-transformers. The way it is
> currently implemented, using a procedure can be seen as a simple
> default (er-transformer). I find the use of transformer-constructors
> clutters up the code, adds unnecessary typing and indentation, and is
> more or less meaningless for newbies.

I too tend to use syntax-rules almost all the time, ir-transformer rarely,
and er-transformer never.  I like always specifying a transformer, as
I believe it clarifies rather than cluttering the code.  In addition,
who knows: perhaps some day sc-transformer and rsc-transformer will
be added to Chicken (over your dead body, I know!).  Omitting the
transformer exposes something that I consider an internal detail of
Chicken that 99.99% of the time I don't care about.  As a default,
it is the wrong default.

--
John Cowan  address@hidden   http://ccil.org/~cowan
Consider the matter of Analytic Philosophy.  Dennett and Bennett are well-known.