Re: [Chicken-hackers] Benchmark for "values" - interesting results

From: Dan Leslie
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Benchmark for "values" - interesting results
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 14:08:10 -0700

Hm.  At the moment I'm short of imagination how much overhead these
internal jumps would incur.  I can't yet imagine that those would be
for free.  Could they?

If I follow John's intention, then it could look something like a switch statement or a series of elseif branches involving simple comparisons against items on the stack. In which case, many CPUs can perform rather aggressive branch prediction and virtually eliminate any overhead.

-Dan