Re: [Chicken-hackers] [ANN]: Port Chicken to AIX

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] [ANN]: Port Chicken to AIX
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 23:52:17 +0000

Hey Erik,

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 17:10:14 -0600 Erik Falor <address@hidden> wrote:

> In an effort to use Chicken at my office, I've gotten Chicken to build
> on AIX 6.1. I can run the interpreter, the compiler, and manage eggs
> with chicken-{install,remove}.  It did not take too many changes to
> the code to make this happen.
>
> I have more details about it on github.com, along with a list of eggs
> I've been able to build.
>
> https://github.com/fadein/chicken-core/pull/1
>
> I hope it is not too late to fit this in to the 4.8.2 release.  Please
> let me know if there are any further changes I ought to make to this
> patch to clean it up.

Wow, very nice!  Thanks for doing that.

The 4.8.2 development snapshot has been released already, so
unfortunately we can't add your patch to it.  OTOH, once it hits the
master branch it'll be available in the next development snapshots and
releases.

If you need a tarball to ease the CHICKEN deployment on AIX systems, you
can easily generate tarballs (assuming you have a working chicken
installed):

  $ make PLATFORM=aix spotless boot-chicken
  $ make PLATFORM=aix CHICKEN=./chicken-boot spotless all
  $ csi -s scripts/makedist.scm PLATFORM=aix CHICKEN=./chicken-boot

Some questions:

* does "make ... check" work on AIX?

* is the change in tcp.scm necessary?

* could you try to build pastiche?  It is a nice test, since it is quite
  heavy on dependencies, but doesn't need external libraries.  It's
  still able to test the FFI because it depends on sql-de-lite, which
  bundles sqlite in case you don't have it installed.

Best wishes.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario