Re: [Chicken-hackers] [ANN]: Port Chicken to AIX

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] [ANN]: Port Chicken to AIX
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:08:02 +0200

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 11:52:17PM +0000, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
> Hey Erik,
>
> > https://github.com/fadein/chicken-core/pull/1
>
> Wow, very nice!  Thanks for doing that.

I second that!

> Some questions:
>
> * does "make ... check" work on AIX?

This is very important indeed.  Note that make check only works after
you've run "make install".  It doesn't matter where you installed it,
under $HOME or anywhere else, it should work.

Running specific tests is most easily done by just running the relevant
lines from runtest.sh manually, or like Mario said, temporarily
commenting out what you don't need.

> * is the change in tcp.scm necessary?

Like Jim mentioned, I think this change isn't just okay, it's desirable,
as that really is the type of the argument.

Some minor notes:

- You've forgotten to update distribution/manifest (I know, easy to overlook,
   I've also forgotten it before) and the NEWS file (please add a note under
   the 4.8.3 heading, which has *just* hit the repo).
- It's probably better to replace the copyright notice with only a 2013 one.
   This provides a better clue as to how long this file has existed.
- Next time, could you send a patch file attached to your mail?  We're not
   on github, so pull requests are not very useful.  Mail fits our workflow
   better.  You can generate such patches using "git format-patch -1", or
   -2, -3 etc depending on how many commits you want to send.

Questions:

- Could you also explain a little more about the compiler flags you've added
   to csc.scm?  Maybe add a comment above it, for future maintainers.

- Why is stty not compiling?  NetBSD also doesn't have ncurses as
   native curses library, but stty works there anyway.  AFAIK it doesn't
   link against curses nor use its header files, it just does some ioctls.

http://www.more-magic.net