Re: [Chicken-hackers] noreturn & clang

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] noreturn & clang
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:01:50 +0100

Am 06.11.2013 10:48, schrieb Peter Bex:
On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 10:40:18AM +0100, "Jörg F. Wittenberger" wrote:
I used to compile with clang to avoid the endless list of

warning: array subscript is above array bounds [-Warray-bounds]

from gcc (4.6.1)

Now it's replaced with an endless list of

warning: function declared 'noreturn' should not return [-Winvalid-noreturn]

from clang.  (Besides that I often value compilation time.)

Does anybody know how to make clang shut up on this one?
A fix for this went in 2 weeks ago, as commit
dc071fbae201f2b8db5539fd016c0d51be0bbe15.  This ought to be available
on master.  AFAIK this hasn't hit the stability branch (yet).

Hm, according to git I'm sitting on master.
Also this commit is obviously applied and the code is in chicken.h
Maybe it's only because I'm compiling with -Wall ??
-Wno-invalid-noreturn did switch the warning off for the time being.

By the way, that array bounds GCC warning should've been fixed a while
ago as well, way back in January there's commit
3ac5bf73c0bec0c5f230ac685e4a17d69a7ea382 which silences these warnings
for clang.  It should also silence them for GCC, I suppose.

Apparently that's not the case.

Of course, if these warnings are shown by GCC it might be better to
investigate why, and attempt to actually fix them instead of working
around it by using another compiler!

Sure.  Just a matter of priorities.  I'm unpaid. :-/

I'm sad to admit: the other day I created a fresh file, which for a while did not exhibit the problem. After a while I did, so I was able to figure out which kind of Scheme code would result in such C code. But I forgot what it was. Sorry. Will have to redo that.