Re: [Chicken-hackers] pastiche db drop

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] pastiche db drop
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 09:13:39 -0500

Alaric Snell-Pym scripsit:

> Bah! Why did the sql engine (sqlite?) not reject that as a syntax error?

Sqlite does reject it:

address@hidden ~]$ sqlite3
SQLite version 3.8.0.2 2013-09-03 17:11:13
Enter ".help" for instructions
Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
sqlite> delete from pastes where hash
"6e4bc38a652603314074d80094b39197fee50ac2";
Error: near ""6e4bc38a652603314074d80094b39197fee50ac2"": syntax error

> I ignored the "I can't login" phonecalls that started appearing while
> I quickly grabbed the most recent backup and restored it, then when
> that was done, I started answering the phone and saying "Oh... can
> you try again? Oh, that worked now? Excellent!").

Ow ow ow ow.  When a system I was responsible for fell off the Internet
for 24+ hours due to a power failure in the building where the servers
were, the worst part of cleaning up was answering all the individual
emails complaining about connection failures (most users were picking
things up programmatically).  After that, I set up an "all users"
mailing list.

On the other hand, that was the *only* time the system went down in a
serious way.  It was a Mickey-Mouse-watch design:  if you drop it,
it stops; but if you pick it up and shake it, it works again.
In particular, if the web and FTP sites were messed up, I would just
say "Wait an hour for reprocessing", and everything would be right again.

--
John Cowan      address@hidden         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Statistics don't help a great deal in making important decisions.