Re: [Chicken-hackers] Made a start with CHICKEN 5 proposal

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Made a start with CHICKEN 5 proposal
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 03:50:29 -0400

Peter Bex scripsit:

> > As for library names, I favor fully spelled out names instead of
> > abbreviations, i.e. chicken.fixnum, chicken.flonum, etc.
>
> Noted.  I don't care much which way it goes, so if nobody argues
> strongly for the abbreviations, we'll use the fully spelled out forms.

I like the full names better.  What I don't like, and don't understand
the reason for, is the dots.  Why does the R7RS egg map (scheme base)
into scheme.base instead of scheme-base?  Using the hyphen bidirectionally
makes the existing eggs visible to R7RS in a very nice way:

Chicken                 R7RS
sdl                     (sdl)
sdl-base                (sdl base)
x11-colors              (x11 colors)
9p                      (9p)
http-client             (http client)
parley                  (parley)
awful                   (awful)
awful-path-matchers     (awful path matchers)
srfi-19                 (srfi 19)
srfi-25                 (srfi 25)

etc. etc.  Admittedly, some are not so great-looking, like (persistent
hash map), but this would be an incentive to rename it to (map hash
persistent), known on the Chicken side as map-hash-persistent.

Can we fix this in the R7RS egg before it's locked in forever?  Or
alternatively, can someone explain why using dot is necessary or even a
good idea?  Thanks.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        address@hidden
On the Semantic Web, it's too hard to prove you're not a dog.