Re: [Chicken-hackers] Made a start with CHICKEN 5 proposal

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Made a start with CHICKEN 5 proposal
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 17:10:53 +0000

Hi,

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 17:35:15 +0200 Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've made a start on the wiki, at what we'd like CHICKEN 5 to be about.
> Please, do not make this into another "pony page", only add things that
> we really need to look at which require a rework in core which may be
> backwards-incompatible.
>
> http://wiki.call-cc.org/chicken-5-roadmap
>
> I already fear I may have gone a bit overboard with adding too many
> things I'd really like to see myself :)
>
> I'd especially appreciate feedback on the core library names and
> the things to kill from core.  I will be expanding this page over the
> next few days/weeks.

Thanks for writing that up, Peter.

I remember there is another breaking change that maybe we can fix in
CHICKEN 5: the behavior of set! on unbound variables.

I personally don't like that behavior.  It can lead to some subtle and
hard to find bugs (specially for bad typists like me).

I'd expect the compiler to detect when set! is applied to an unbound
variable and raise an error (or at least a warning).

Should we consider this for CHICKEN 5?

Best wishes.
Mario
--