Re: [Chicken-hackers] Made a start with CHICKEN 5 proposal

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Made a start with CHICKEN 5 proposal
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 11:30:37 +0200

Am 29.08.2014 20:50, schrieb Oleg Kolosov:
On 08/23/14 19:35, Peter Bex wrote:
I've made a start on the wiki, at what we'd like CHICKEN 5 to be about.
I've remembered one more thing: why not stick the terminating '\0' at
the end of all strings in internal representation? This looks pretty
harmless but could make some common FFI uses a breeze.

Don't, please.

a) This would make "some forms of abuse" "safe anyway". But internal \0 would have to handled for correct programs anyway. Eventually one ends up rewriting mostly working code at that point.

b) I don't recall the full story. But we had precisely this problem once with RScheme (which does have this terminating \0). In the end Donovan Kolbly (creator of RScheme) commented on the topic: "I was young."