Re: [Chicken-hackers] Any thoughts on performance woes?

From: Dan Leslie
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Any thoughts on performance woes?
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 09:34:12 -0700

Felix Winkelmann <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm a compiler-writer, my job is to be paranoid about performance.
> But otherwise raw speed is in most cases secondary (try to run large
> real-world programs on Larceny or Stalin and you know what I mean.)
>
> That there are so many implementors in the Lisp and Scheme community
> probably makes this irrational emphasis on (execution-time)
> performance so apparent in these groups. Or it's the remains of the
> trauma of the AI-Winter, I don't know (and I don't care anymore.)

I agree, Larceny isn't exactly a viable option for development,
for reasons which are evident when one attempts to begin using
it. There's just a whole lot missing from the package, the community,
the documentation et al which other Schemes like Chicken provide.

Perhaps it's because of the industries in which I've worked (gaming,
embedded systems and enterprise SaaS), but I've not really experienced
development where performance wasn't a top or near-top priority. Part of
why I raised this question to the list was to satisfy my curiousity, as
writing performant Chicken code is still somewhat of a hazy endeavour to
me.

It saddens me that you aren't writing so much Scheme/Lisp any more. I
wish that this wasn't the case; you've done such great work.

-Dan

--
-Dan Leslie