Re: [Chicken-hackers] "make check" is 40 times slower than "make" (gcc 4

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] "make check" is 40 times slower than "make" (gcc 4.9)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:42:08 +0200

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 02:54:55PM +0200, Sven Hartrumpf wrote:
> Some months ago, I stumbled across the fact that "make check" for
> chicken takes almost 2 hours with recent gcc versions.
> (The build without the check step takes only 2.5 minutes -
> very impressive. Measured again today.)

Wow, that's terrible!

> Only one test is the "culprit": the many-arguments test (in its gcc part).
> As months passed and no one has complained, I do complain, now :-)

I've only just upgraded to Debian Jessie yesterday (so I've never noticed
it before, running Wheezy all this time), and tested it now.  You're right,
it's unacceptably slow.

Unfortunately, the test was introduced because there was a bug somewhere
in the handling of manyargs, so I'd prefer not to remove or disable the
test.  It works fine with older GCCs, and also with clang, so I would
classify this as a (pretty serious) regression in GCC, even if this many
arguments (2048!) to a C function is a bit on the insane side.

Can you file a bugreport with the GCC team while we figure out what to do
with this problem?  Maybe there's an easy fix on their end, and maybe other
projects are also having trouble with this.