Re: [Chicken-hackers] An alternative internal time type.

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] An alternative internal time type.
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 14:07:13 +0200

Am 13.06.2015 um 13:39 schrieb Peter Bex:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 08:54:44AM +0200, "Jörg F. Wittenberger" wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the attached patch adds initial support for an alternative internal time
>> representation.  (Keeps the default as "double".)
>>
>> The idea is to ease future porting and special use cases.  (E.g., maybe
>> run on ARM Cortex-M, which does not like floats and divisions.)
>
> Hello Joerg,
>
> Thanks for the patch.  However, I'm not sure how useful it will be,
> considerng that CHICKEN 5 is now (or should be) using exact integers
> everywhere (so it'll use bignums to store timestamps),

Ah, great to learn.

Nevertheless: I'd rather like to have timestamps have their own type, if
even for clarity and flexibility.

Otherwise forget about it.  I should be able to maintain that difference
for the time being.  (Just my diff are going to be off by a couple of
lines while I try to get in sync.)

> and I don't
> think we should be adding such big-impact changes to CHICKEN 4 at
> this point.  Of course other core members may disagree.

For what it's worth, a fixed version of the patch attached.

Best

/Jörg