Re: [Chicken-hackers] [CHICKEN-5] Drop Watcom, Metroworks and Delorie (D

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] [CHICKEN-5] Drop Watcom, Metroworks and Delorie (DJGPP) compilers support and remove references?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 23:20:50 +0200

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 01:31:20PM -0300, Arthur Maciel wrote:
> In the spirit of cleaning CHICKEN-5 source code here is a patch that
> finally removes all support and references to these three compilers. I
> think that CHICKEN-4 source code could serve as a new historical reference.
>
> What do you think?

I think this is a good idea; it's old cruft for compilers that aren't
popular anymore, it doesn't work anyway, and those compilers might have
changed so new versions of them might not even need special directives
anymore.

If anyone wants to support them, they'll need to put in a lot of effort
and leaving in these stubs is not more helpful than starting from scratch.

> For the patch reviewers, in contrast to Watcom and Metroworks, there is no
> single line of code for Delorie (DJGPP).

Thanks.  I noticed you missed the WATCOM reference in posixwin.scm, so
the attached signed-off copy of your patch has this added to it.
There were also references to the compiler in mannual/Unit library
which I removed as well: the (build-platform) will no longer return
that string, because it was removed from the C_BUILD_PLATFORM
declarations in chicken.h.