Re: [Chicken-hackers] chicken-install bug: does not copy all folders whe

From: Kristian Lein-Mathisen
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] chicken-install bug: does not copy all folders when cross-compiling
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 15:48:31 +0100

Hi Peter,

And thanks for looking into this!

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 01:33:59PM +0200, Kristian Lein-Mathisen wrote:
> Hi dear chickeners!
>
> We have a really nice macro[1] that runs "git describe --tags" and produces
> string-output of our current version at compile-time. This method is (when
> not cross-compiling) very robust because it doesn't use any temporary files
> to store the current version etc.

Hi Kristian,

It's a common workflow to want to automatically update the egg version
in some file, because for the egg system it's required to update at
least the .release-info file, and optionally the meta-file if you're
using the file-listing method of serving an egg.

There's the "git-egg-author" egg which will automatically update the
release-info file, tags and commits.  You could then read the version
from that in your macro.

I'm not sure I really like this approach. That means that the meta-file will have to be altered on every commi, or you have to make an explicit step to mark for a new version. The "git describe" approach is always precise (except when .git is missing!) and can also tell you if your working directory is dirty.

This is probably not what you're looking for, but the cp -T hack doesn't
sound very appealing.  It's not POSIX (the BSDs for example don't know
about it), and treating the target as a plain file sounds like it could
cause other problems.

I agree, -T won't solve it for everybody. The problem at hand still amazes me, though: There seems to be no way to copy *all* files recursively from a folder into another. Our method, in my opinion, is fundamentally flawed as it's skipping all hidden folders. They are probably other examples where dot-files and dot-folders are needed during a chicken-install.

Perhaps an option is to make our own recursive-copy function and solve this properly?