[Chicken-hackers] CMake build system update

From: Oleg Kolosov
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] CMake build system update
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 23:26:25 +0300

Hello!

I’m happy to announce new version of CMake based build system for CHICKEN.
Besides improved cross-compilation support (no need for separate
"cross-chicken") it features proper build-time dependency tracking (allows
parallel compilation, greatly speeds up builds), Android support (not
extensively tested) and portable testing without installation.

You can check out the latest version from my repository at
https://github.com/bazurbat/chicken-scheme. The branches of interest are:
master-cmake and release-cmake.

To bootstap master-cmake branch you will need chicken-boot from
http://code.call-cc.org/dev-snapshots/2015/08/29/chicken-4.10.1.tar.gz
development snapshot. I recommend using separate build directory, for example:

git clone https://github.com/bazurbat/chicken-scheme.git
mkdir chicken-scheme-build
cd chicken-scheme-build
cmake \
    -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/opt/chicken \
    -DCHICKEN_COMPILER=$HOME/opt/chicken-boot \
    -DCHICKEN_BOOTSTRAP=YES \
    ../chicken-scheme
make

CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is the analog of current PREFIX variable, adjust path to
chicken-boot as needed. The platform details are figured out automatically. To
build and run tests use the following commands:

make BUILD_TESTS
ctest

It can be installed with:

make install

as usual.

This version does not contain patches for core runtime necessary for native
Windows (Visual Studio) support because the lack of interest and the hard
requirement to use CMake for everything (no csc, chicken-install etc.).

—
Regards, Oleg
Art-System