Re: [Chicken-hackers] PATCH: allow signal handlers to be called from any

From: Evan Hanson
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] PATCH: allow signal handlers to be called from any thread.
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 12:38:46 +1300

On 2016-01-14 22:18, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> I tried to strike a balance between doing the right thing (and produce a
> huge unintelligible overkill) and getting something acceptable done.

Yeah, I think this was a good change on its own as it'll make the
problem far less likely (though of course not impossible, as you say).

Without actually consulting a specification about this sort of thing,
I'm inclined to say that any further changes should implement a proper
barrier rather than relying on order-of-execution tricks. I've created a
new ticket for this at https://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/1255.

As regards signal dropping with (disable-interrupts), both behaviours
make sense to me. It boils down to opinion, I think, but any change
would need to distinguish between the current "disable-interrupts"
behaviour and a new, distinct "delay-interrupts" behaviour, putting it
in new feature territory.

Cheers,

Evan