Re: [Chicken-hackers] Argvector handling - maybe we could do better at t

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Argvector handling - maybe we could do better at that
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 13:43:23 +0100

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 11:35:01AM +0100, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> So better the other way around: get rid of the globals.
>
> One thing I did not yet try: maybe it's beneficial to have a version of
> C_kontinue which receives the current av, its size and the c argument to
> enable av-reuse without accessing those globals.

That won't work because the continuation will lose the vector's size.

> What tried was a length-prefixed av.  Just C_alloc one more word, stick
> the length in and return av+1.  Thus getting rid of the global size.

That was my idea too.

> Works till gc.  :-/

I think that's because it's copied onto the temp stack, and then copied
back onto the stack.  In the restart you'll need to prepend the av with
the size too.

> For reference I attach my current modifications.  (Including Peters
> fixes to location-ref to avoid a patch conflict.)

I won't look into this until we've released 4.11, it's too much
distraction, and generates too much noise on the mailinglist.
There are other fixes we need to apply first before considering
such large changes.