Re: [Chicken-hackers] slow polling

From: Evan Hanson
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] slow polling
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 17:59:40 +1300

On 2016-02-24 13:05, address@hidden wrote:
> > You're right on one hand, but on the other we also have to remember that
> > people are still using CHICKEN 4 in production.  For example, the
> > argvector change was applied to master for that reason.  The debugger
> > was added to master, and so on.  It will be a while before we will be
> > able to release CHICKEN 5 even if we do put all our efforts into it.
>
> Indeed. But it will take even longer if two variants are maintained in
> parallel.
> The debugger was isolated enough to be developed for both 4 and 5 (and
> also to give it some exposure to find bugs).

There's also the fact that at some point in the not-too-distant future
chicken-5 will differ so much from master that coincident development
will become totally impractical.

I would even go so far as to say the code loading branch, which does a
fair bit of restructuring in the core libraries, will put things in that
territory, for some files at least. Additionally, it will be the first
big break in backwards-compatibility, at least as far as the standard
libraries are concerned.

Still, it must be. If there are no objections, I'll merge it within the
next week or so.

> > Besides, right now what needs to happen on CHICKEN 5 is not very clear
> > to me.  For example, I have no clue what the status is on the new setup
> > langauge, and the namespace changes are being worked on by Evan and I
> > don't want to get in his way.  However, I'd be happy to pick up any
> > boring work that "just needs to be done", as long as it's clear what
> > needs to happen.  Inspiration is lacking for me right now.
>
> I might be interested in the setup stuff, but it will take time, of course
> (it's quite some work to get this working on Windows + UNIX,) Evan's
> work and the setup stuff are the most critical parts to get something up
> and running. The next step would be THE SYSTEM... how about investigating
> this?

Nothing of the setup language has been implemented yet, as far as I know.

It would also be good to get a handle on exactly when the various load
paths are used and for what. This is sort of reflected on the roadmap,
but I think there are a few oddities lurking there, and an
all-in-one-place reference for what is currently loaded from where and
when will be useful when developing the setup system, and powerful
ammunition for when we finally meet #736 in battle.

Evan