Re: [Chicken-hackers] force-primordial - dunno what to do

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] force-primordial - dunno what to do
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 20:36:25 +0200

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 12:36:59PM +0100, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> in case nobody finds why we ##sys#force-primordial find a patch attached
> which simply removes it.

Hello Joerg,

I've finally had some time and tested with your patch and without, and
found that with the patch, the REPL starts behaving a bit strange.

For example:

$ csi
#;1> (use srfi-18)
#;2> (thread-start! (lambda () (let lp () (thread-sleep! 1) (print "hai")
(lp))))

This will start printing "hai".  When you press ^C, in the current
implementation, you'll immediately see *** user interrupt *** and get
a new prompt.  In the version without force-primordial, it will
sometimes do that, and other times it will just sit there, printing,
until you press "enter".

So I would say removing force-primordial altogether is not desirable.
I'm not sure about removing it just in the ##sys#unblock-threads-for-i/o.
So unless someone can *unequivocally* show that this is not needed (or
even causes problems), I vote that we keep it the way it is.