Re: [Chicken-hackers] Windows 10, MinGW-W64, Chicken 4.11, "invalid enco

From: Claude Marinier
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Windows 10, MinGW-W64, Chicken 4.11, "invalid encoded numeric literal"
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2016 11:08:20 -0400

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 10:22AM -0400, Peter Bex wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 09:14:32AM -0400, Claude Marinier wrote:
> > I have solved the immediate problem by purging the Windows machine from
> > MinGW and re-installing MinGW-W64 with the i686 architecture. Everything
> > works well.
>
> The previous installation was built with a 64-bit toolchain?

Hi Peter,

Yes. When I installed MinGW-M64 I chose the 64-bit option and I built Chicken
with the  ARCH=x86-64  option.

> > Could the older CPU lack some features which either the MinGW-W64 tool
> > chain or Chicken Scheme need?
>
> It sounds more likely that CHICKEN didn't detect the 64-bit environment
> properly.  Was C_SIXTY_FOUR defined?  Did csi print "64bit" in the banner?
> Or did (memq 64bit: (features)) return #f?

I do not remember seeing "64bit" in the banner and I did not record it. I remember
and recorded building Chicken with an explicit request for 64-bit.

Some details here    http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-users/2016-08/msg00009.html

Who printed the error message? Was it "a.out" ?

    [panic] invalid encoded numeric literal - execution terminated

It's looks like the generated C code contained a numeric literal which the GCC
run-time did not like, almost as if it was operating in 32-bit mode. Hence your
questions.

So, is 'csc' not passing the correct flags to 'gcc' ? I'm just speculating.

We have seen this before but these may not be related.
  https://github.com/nickg/swank-chicken/issues/10
  http://nongnu.13855.n7.nabble.com/quot-panic-invalid-encoded-numeric-literal-quot-with-gtk-td196533.html

The other interesting queston is: Why me?

Thanks.

--
Claude Marinier