Re: [Chicken-hackers] new CHICKEN 5 egg installation

From: felix . winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] new CHICKEN 5 egg installation
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 15:42:36 +0100

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 02:00:46PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > Some time ago there was a strong interest in supporting mulitple local egg
> > repos (i.e. CHICKEN_REPOSITORY would specify a list of directories, each
> > of which may contain eggs). Would that allow dropping -prefix, and still
> > provide a way to split installations across multiple directories, and thus
> > solve
> > the requirements for packaging (-no-install-deps) and Salmonella?
>
> I think that would be a nice way to support this, and would also make a
> Python virtualenv-like tool possible, so one can have local project-specific
> installations of different egg version combinations.

I recall that I didn't like this too much, due to the added ambiguousness
of where eggs are found + installed, but if this solves multiple problems in
a relatively elegant way (separating dependency instllation, for packagers,
and overlayed repos for salmonella runs), than I guess there is no better way.

Mario, would this help with Salmonella?