[Chicken-hackers] chicken-5-new-egg-install branch

From: felix . winkelmann
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] chicken-5-new-egg-install branch
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 13:18:27 +0200

Hello!

The new egg-installation stuff is now in a state that seems to be basically
usable and I wonder how to go on with this, as it is a bit of a hassle to keep
this branch in sync with the C5 master.

Egg installation (for the basic set of eggs we currently have) seems to work
fine, including fully static builds of eggs and applications that use them.
I did some testing with a cross-chicken and was able to cross-build an
awful server. Kooda is currently fixing bugs on Windows (I'll merge these
changes soon). Mac OS has _not_ been tested,yet, but, hey, who uses
Mac OS anyway... :-)

I hereby politely ask on how to proceed. Submitting patches is probably
counter-productive - the changes are extensive. To review or test the code,
see the branch here:

http://code.call-cc.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=chicken-core.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/chicken-5-new-egg-install

The preliminary eggs for C5 can be found here:

    http://code.call-cc.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=chicken-5-eggs.git;a=summary

(You need to add  "(location "<dir>/c5-eggs")" to your setup.defaults to use
them)

There still is a bit of functionality untested, and platforms untried. Also, a
considerate
number of things have been removed. See

    http://wiki.call-cc.org/chicken-5-new-egg-install-notes

for some thoughts, questions and unclear things.