Re: [Chicken-hackers] [Chicken-janitors] #1218: chicken-install may fail

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] [Chicken-janitors] #1218: chicken-install may fail if TMPDIR is mounted noexec (depending on setup-file details)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 12:24:10 -0400

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 01:52:53PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Sorry, I lost the context for this discussion - what exactly is the problem here?
Basically, if /tmp is mounted noexec, installing an egg like
coops that builds two modules, one of which loads the other,
this will fail because you can't dlopen() a .so file on noexec
mounts.

The wider context is that many attacks on Linux systems install executables into /tmp (which is guaranteed writable), and setting the /tmp filesystem noexec blocks such attacks in a simple way.  It's now considered a bug in Debian packages to put executables in /tmp, and I expect the idea will spread to other Linux distros.

In general, nothing should be both writable and executable.

--
John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        address@hidden
If you have ever wondered if you are in hell, it has been said, then