[Chicken-hackers] New egg: Magic Pipes

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] New egg: Magic Pipes
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 22:56:59 +0100

I've added magic-pipes to the egg list so, if I've filled in everything
correctly, it's now available for you all to play with.

What is it, I hear you ask? Well, it's a set of binaries to be used from
your shell prompt to construct shell pipelines that process streams of
s-expressions. This lets you do all sorts of cool stuff in the shell.

There's input tools that generate s-expressions from:

 * Parsing arbitrary input text with regexps
 * XML, CSV, or JSON files
 * Directory listings (perhaps recursively)
 * Querying SQLite databases

And output tools to:

 * Run an arbitrary Scheme procedure on every regexp (eg, printf, or
"delete-file" on a list of string pathnames, etc)
 * Generate XML, CSV or JSON
 * Insert/update SQLite databases

And processing tools: map, filter, fold.

See https://www.kitten-technologies.co.uk/project/magic-pipes for some
examples, and the full documentation!

I've plenty of ideas for things to add in future - see
https://www.kitten-technologies.co.uk/project/magic-pipes/doc/trunk/docs/todo.wiki
for a list; stuff like sort, head/tail, some relational operators (join,
group, cogroup, etc).

I keep finding myself looking at a complicated shell pipeline I've
written and then thinking "Dammit, I wish I'd thought to do this with
Magic Pipes, it would have been much easier".

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym
http://www.snell-pym.org.uk/alaric/