Re: [Chicken-hackers] [C5] About `random` and its future

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] [C5] About `random` and its future
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 21:20:23 -0400

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 1:43 PM, lemonboy <address@hidden> wrote:

AFAICT the `extras` module contains a bunch of useful procedures to get one
started writing so it'd be nice if we could choose and implement a single PRNG,
taking advantage of the (light) breakage introduced by C5.

Is there anything wrong with SRFI 27 and its MRG32k3a generator?  It's fast,
clean, splittable (you need splitting whenever you are dealing with independent
random sources and don't want to spend a lot of entropy on them, not just for
parallel processing), and works well on both 32-bit CPUs (with 64-bit floats)
and 64-bit CPUs.   I have not seen any indication that MRG32k3a has been
broken.

--
John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        address@hidden
If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing