Re: [Chicken-hackers] Merge chicken-5 into master? Also: git help needed

From: Evan Hanson
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Merge chicken-5 into master? Also: git help needed
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 21:54:23 +1300

On 2017-12-05 22:44, address@hidden wrote:
This will also loose all history information from the chicken-5
branch prior to the source drop.

I think the easiest way for us would be to rename the master branch
to chicken-4.x then rename the chicken-5 branch to master.

For bug reports etc the commit hashes would still be the same so
we can support chicken-4 for a while without too much hassle.

The only downside is that people would have to do this on their
machines locally as well (or just throw away the master branch)
otherwise pushing will always fail. But that is more of a communication
issue.

After trying to merge this for a bit I think we should just do the
renaming and be done.

I think Christian is right here. If things fail locally, one can still do
a fresh checkout as a last resort. Git will just fuck up things, if
we let it.

I agree, we should absolutely just rename the branches.

 git branch -m master chicken-4
 git branch -m chicken-5 master

We're a small team so I think everyone involved should just run these
commands and be done with it. Someone will need to do this on the
repository on call-cc.org, too.

Cheers,

Evan