Re: [Chicken-hackers] Merge chicken-5 into master? Also: git help needed

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Merge chicken-5 into master? Also: git help needed
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 21:42:48 +0100

On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 09:17:10PM +0100, Peter Bex wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a quick question: Now that we've started the 4.13.0 release
> process, should we branch off a "chicken-4" branch from master
> and merge "chicken-5" into master?

In preparation of this, it may make sense to branch chicken-4 off
from master first, and do the merge of chicken-5 into master later.

This "staged" merge will make it easier to move Salmonella boxes over:
we can then first move "master" to "chicken-4" and leave chicken-5.
This also means that we'll have chicken-4 and master be the
same thing for a few days.

When all Salmonella machines have been moved to chicken-4, we can
merge chicken-5 into master.  Then, both chicken-5 and master will
be the same and we can move Salmonella machine over to master.

Finally, we can drop the chicken-5 branch to avoid further confusion.

I've discussed this with Mario on IRC and he agrees this is helpful.
If nobody objects in the meantime, I'll create the chicken-4 branch
this Friday.