Re: [Chicken-hackers] Would SRFI-157 (pre)support worth a consideration?

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Would SRFI-157 (pre)support worth a consideration?
Date: 24 Oct 2018 10:41:45 +0200

On Oct 24 2018, Peter Bex wrote:

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 09:33:02PM +0200, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
Hi all,

with Chicken 5 being about to be released I know there is no adding
features now.

That's why I hesitate to post at all.  At the other hand I'd guess it
might be easier to now add half the feature I'd desire than later deal
with a binary incompatible change.

Maybe it's worth to consider adding this one more "thread-local
mutable cell" in C5 threads now.  To make room for srfi-157 support in
C5.1 or so.

I don't quite see why this should be required as part of 5.0; AFAIK
thread local mutable cells would be a completely orthogonal new feature
that could be added later.

The idea was more like adding a 15th field in ##sys#make-thread in library.scm around line 5691. (Or maybe it would belong into slot #5 "state buffer"?)

And it's nontrivial so not something to be adding at the RC stage.

As I said, I'm not sure this should be done now.  Because of the RC stage.

Neither I'm sure this is really going to complicate things. As long as an srfi-157 egg could easily overwrite ##sys#make-thread.

Just wanted to make sure it's been considered for a moment by someone more knowledgeable than me how badly it could hit home if I was missing something.

Cheers

/Jörg