Re: [Chicken-hackers] Handling multiple args in types.db

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Handling multiple args in types.db
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 09:07:01 +0200

On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 09:35:21AM +0300, megane wrote:
> Peter Bex <address@hidden> writes:
> > Ah, so this effectively means some of the rewrites are useless since the
> > specializations make them inapplicable.  We should consider what to do
> > with that.  I have no clue what would happen if we change the order in
> > which they run, so maybe just remove rewrite 19 and replace it with your
> > suggestion?
>
> In this case I would just move rewrite 19 to happen before scrutiny.

I don't think we can selectively move particular rewrites before scrutiny,
that's what I was getting at; scrutiny is just one big operation that
runs once, and optimizations happen in a loop.

> In general, some optimizations like rewrite 19 help the scrutinizer. The
> scrutinizer makes transformations that might enable some optimizations,
> which might help the scrutinizer, ... i.e. "cascading optimizations".

Yeah, it would be great to make use of that.

> The optimizer seems to do this kind of looping. The scrutinizer just
> isn't part of that (and probably can't be as the optimizer works with
> CPS IIUC).

That's what I mean.  So I think (for now at least?) we're "stuck" with
doing it like you suggested, but then the rewrite is unnecessary (for the
most part?).