Re: [Chicken-hackers] Handling multiple args in types.db

From: felix . winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Handling multiple args in types.db
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 11:16:08 +0200

> In scrutinizer, just at the beginning of 'walk' just try different kind
> of optimizations. Like rewrite 19 and the constant folding thing that
> was added recently (which is done in pretty icky place currently). Like
> this:
>
>   (try-optimizations node)
>   .. continue with normal walk ..
>
> The optimizations done here would be "scrutinizer-aware" in that they
> don't make scrutiny harder.
>
> Starting this way would be pretty easy and shouldn't add much new hair
> (famous last words...)
>
> Thoughts?

You are just duplicating machinery that already exists. The optimizations
in the scrutinizer came after the CPS optimzation passes (and was/is optional)
and the interplay is not particularly good. The optimal way would do some
rewrites in the
scrutinizer based on type-information that later give easily optimizable
intermediate structures (or internal forms) that can be taken advantage
of. We just need to review the rewrites both in scrutiny and normal
optimization so that they interact in a better way.