Re: Patch for autodetection of platforms

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: Patch for autodetection of platforms
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 15:41:11 -0500

I don't feel like filing another patch at this point, but since iOS is a cross-compilation target, the 3 lines for iOS should just be removed from Makefile.detect before it is merged.

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 2:25 PM John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:
This patch supersedes all other patches and correctly distinguishes between mingw, mingw-msys, and cygwin.  It is also more efficient (only runs uname twice) and doesn't have a zillion trailing endifs.

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 11:24 AM Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 11:19:16AM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> Here's the second patch I mentioned on #chicken.

Hi John,

I've tried these two patches, but found several problems with them:

- The endif in the second patch is misplaced, so on UNIX, platform
  detection was skipped completely.  Easily fixed by moving one endif
  to the very end.
- The quotes in mingw-msys and mingw would be taken literally and this
  would result in an error about not being able to find a file named
  Makefile."mingw-msys".  Also easily fixed.
- The ComSpec environment variable is not defined in Mingw32-msys.
  There, it is called COMSPEC (in all caps).  Therefore, it didn't
  work properly.  I was able to fix this by changing the check from
  ifdef ComSpec to ifneq ($(COMSPEC)$(ComSpec),) so that both variables
  concatenated aren't empty.
- Finally, I ran into a problem that I couldn't fix: SHELL is defined
  as sh.exe on Mingw32 (without msys).  I don't know how to make the
  distinction between mingw and mingw-msys.

I'm not super happy with the unreadable mess of endifs (like you see in
my first bullet point, this results in real problems), but I think the
change itself brings a convenience that I think is worthwhile enough to
pursue it anyway.

So, could you try to fix the final issue with mingw/mingw-msys detection?

I've attached a new version of the patch where I fixed the issues I was
able to fix.  Obviously, this should *not* be pushed yet until the mingw
issue is fixed.