chicken-users

Re: [Chicken-users] Building the openssl egg on MacOS

From: Norman Gray
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Building the openssl egg on MacOS
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 19:16:03 +0000

Greetings.

On 15 Jul 2019, at 19:53, Vasilij Schneidermann wrote:

>  And honestly
> speaking, OpenSSL isn't nice to deal with either

Indeed!

I spent a _little_ while digging into the details of this a few months
ago, and my understanding is this:

   * Apple were suffering version-skew hell because (reportedly) the
OpenSSL folk kept changing the ABI for the library.
   * So they lost patience and deprecated OpenSSL on macOS
   * ...to the extent that there are now compiler-visible deprecation
markers in the relevant still-visible header files.
   * The doctrine is that one should use Apple's own encryption
frameworks (as you noted, Vasilij)
   * (which work fine, in the pretty basic uses I've made of them, but
they don't pretend to be OpenSSL)
   * ...and act as if there were no OpenSSL library at all on macOS.
   * As Lassi noted, there is still a LibreSSL library on the system in
fact, but I believe it is intended to be strictly for legacy use.

So if you have a tool which depends on Open/LibreSSL, then you need to
get it on your machine either from source, or using the package manager
of your choice, and not even try using the system one.

If I've misunderstood or misrepresented one of the steps here, I'm sure
someone will cheerfully correct me.

Best wishes,

Norman

--