circe-help

[Circe-help] Re: Logging for circe

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [Circe-help] Re: Logging for circe
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:57:39 +0100

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

Hi again,

> I wrote an extension `erc-log.el' that saves the contents of chat
> buffers (matching a regexp) in files. This works quite good, but one
> thing that doesn't work ATM is the insertion of this history.
>
> I need to insert the log file contents when the corresponding channel
> is joined or the query buffer is opened, but this has to be done
> before any new contents are inserted.  Thus I cannot use
> `circe-chat-mode-hook'.

That was not entirely true. Now I managed it to work without any
modifications on circe's core.

> I would be happy to include my extension, so I apply for project
> membership.

Still waiting...

Nevertheless, here's the current version.

;;; circe-log.el --- Logging for circe

;; Copyright (C) 2007 Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>

;; Version: 1.0
;; Author: Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>

;; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
;; modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
;; as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
;; of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the

;; along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
;; Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
;; 02110-1301  USA

;;; Commentary:

;; Logs all irc buffers matching `circe-log-buffer-regexp' and not matching
;; `circe-log-exlude-buffer-regexp' when they are killed.

;; To use it, put the following into your .emacs:

;; (require 'circe-log)
;; (enable-circe-log)

;;; Code:

(require 'circe)

(defvar circe-log-buffer-regexp ".*"
  "Only buffers matching this regexp and don't match
`circe-log-exlude-buffer-regexp' will be logged.")

(defvar circe-log-exlude-buffer-regexp
  "^\\([Cc][Hh][Aa][Nn]\\|[Nn][Ii][Cc][Kk]\\)[Ss][Ee][Rr][Vv]"
  "Only buffers that don't match this regexp and match
`circe-log-buffer-regexp' will be logged. By default query
buffers for ChanServ and NickServ will be ignored.")

(defvar circe-log-directory "~/.circe-logs"
  "The directory in which circe's log files should reside.")

(defun enable-circe-log ()
  "Enables automatic logging for all buffers matching
`circe-log-buffer-regexp' and not matching
`circe-log-exlude-buffer-regexp'."
  (interactive)
  (mapc (lambda (buf)
          (with-current-buffer buf
            (when (eq major-mode 'circe-chat-mode)
              (add-circe-log-buffer))))
        (buffer-list))
  (add-hook 'circe-chat-mode-hook
            'add-circe-log-buffer)
  (add-hook 'circe-chat-mode-hook
            'circe-log-insert))

(defun disable-circe-log ()
  "Disables automatic logging."
  (interactive)
  (mapc (lambda (buf)
          (with-current-buffer buf
            (when (eq major-mode 'circe-chat-mode)
              (remove-circe-log-buffer))))
        (buffer-list))
  (remove-hook 'circe-chat-mode-hook
               'add-circe-log-buffer)
  (remove-hook 'circe-chat-mode-hook
               'circe-log-insert))

(defun add-circe-log-buffer ()
  "Enables logging for the current buffer."
  (let ((buf-name (buffer-name (current-buffer))))
    (when (and (string-match circe-log-buffer-regexp buf-name)
               (not (string-match circe-log-exlude-buffer-regexp buf-name)))
      (add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook 'circe-log-save-buffer t t))))

(defun remove-circe-log-buffer ()
  "Disables logging for the current buffer."
  (remove-hook 'kill-buffer-hook 'circe-log-save-buffer t))

(defun circe-log-file-name ()
  "Returns the file name of the logfile associated with the
current buffer."
  (let ((circe-buffer (buffer-name)))
    (concat circe-log-directory
            "/" circe-buffer
            "@" (with-circe-server-buffer circe-server-network))))

(defun circe-log-save-buffer ()
  "Saves the current buffer in a log file."
  (interactive)
  (when (not (file-exists-p circe-log-directory))
    (make-directory circe-log-directory))
  (write-file (circe-log-file-name)))

(defun circe-log-insert ()
  "Inserts the log file's content into the current buffer."
  (let ((log-buffer   " *circe log*")
        (logfile-name (circe-log-file-name))
        (circe-buffer (buffer-name)))
    (when (file-exists-p logfile-name)
      (set-buffer (get-buffer-create log-buffer))
      (insert-file-contents logfile-name)
      (goto-char (point-max))
      (insert (concat "\n\n;;\n"
                      ";; " (format-time-string "%c")
                      "\n;;\n"))
      (let ((str (buffer-string)))
        (set-buffer circe-buffer)
        (let ((buffer-read-only nil))
          (lui-insert str)))
      (kill-buffer log-buffer))))

(provide 'circe-log)
;;; circe-log.el ends here

Regards,
Tassilo
--
[Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
beautiful.  -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_