circe-help

[Circe-help] Re: make-frame-visible event

From: John J Foerch
Subject: [Circe-help] Re: make-frame-visible event
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:52:48 -0500

John J Foerch <address@hidden> writes:
> Hello,
>
>   I run a dedicated emacs for irc in its own desktop workspace, and I
> found that circe's tracking module does not do anything to handle
> switching to a workspace which contains frames showing tracked buffers.  I
> put together the following code to handle this situation, chaining a
> handler onto emacs's special event `make-frame-visible'.  It would be
> great if it could be incorporated into tracking-mode itself.

  Followup on this project.. the code I posted is not good as-is because
as of recent CVS emacs, the dframe module tramples all over it.  I put
in a request on emacs.devel for a hook on make-frame-visible so that
both dframe's handler and my handler can coexist, but the request was
denied.  The workaround suggested was to (require 'dframe), then
implement make-frame-visible-hook in my own .emacs and ensure dframe's
handler gets called there.  (A backwards hack.)

  If anybody else wants to make the case to the emacs devs for having
this functionality in tracking-mode, it would be much appreciated.

--
John Foerch