[circle] releases

From: Paul Harrison
Subject: [circle] releases
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 22:12:51 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Thomas Voegtlin wrote:

> >Things may break, or need fine-tuning, it's a fairly extensive change...
> >

> yeah, cvs circle seems fairly broken now...

Comitted too soon, sorry.

I've comitted fixes now that should make it useable again:
  - fixed the slow message rendering
  - channels should work properly now

> would it be a good idea to try and stabelize circle for the 0.35 release,
> and to delay the introduction of such radically new features to further
> releases?

Well, it should be working ok now. If it keeps causing problems, i'll
comment it out before the release.

Speaking of releases, it looks like we won't be able to use McMillan's
packager for the windows release any more, gtk2 is just too hairy. So
windows users are going to have to install python, pygtk and gtk2
themselves :-( (unless someone wants to write an installer?)

Given that everyone has python, pygtk and gtk2, it turns out to be
possible to make an operating system independant package, eg:

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~pfh/random/circle-dist.py

This is a python program (made by build_py_dist.py in CVS) which unzips
itself into a temporary directory, runs circle, and cleans up afterwards.
Should work on Linux, Windows, and pretty much anything else.

Paul

IM: pfh on thecircle.org.au
Email: address@hidden
There is no conspiracy.