Re: [circle] circle's old daemons : an essay on the separation between t

From: Paul Harrison
Subject: Re: [circle] circle's old daemons : an essay on the separation between the gui and core....
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 21:47:51 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 24 May 2003, Steven and Julie wrote:

Thomas Voegtlin answered most of these, but i thought i'd add my 2
cents...

> Is there a good document on "Circle-internals" anywhere, that doesn't
> require digging through Python code?

pydoc, or Help/Developer documentation

> The point being if Circle's logged into a CircleD using a thin version of
> the protocol, and left CircleD to carry the network, distributing chat,
> gossip, etc. back to the appropriate Circle clients, it would not only make
> implementing new interfaces a whole lot easier, but also make far better use
> of resources by sharing connections, and allowing more intelligent
> management of things.

I don't see that that is any easier than importing the appropriate python
module. Unless you don't like python of course.

Regarding better use of resources, i think this is a YAGNI, having more
than one circle peer running on a machine seems to be very rare, so i
think we can allow a little inefficiency in this case in order to keep the
code readable. Also, the change would require a modified protocol
(currently can't have more than one identity per port), with all the pain
that implies.

> Plus, making CircleD more along the lines of a system service, would allow
> sysadmins to shield the Circle network from users who think they know Unix
> but wouldn't know how to run the Red Hat installer, and has just attended
> their third week of Java/C/Python/Lisp/ML/Snobol classes.  Furthermore,
> CircleD could handle filtering out any evil traffic flowing in either
> direction, so the Circle clients can get down to the job of interracting
> with the user.

Unless these people are hacking the circle node.py code, i don't think
this is a problem.

Paul

IM: pfh on thecircle.org.au
Email: address@hidden