Re: FW: [circle] Evil plan

From: Paul Harrison
Subject: Re: FW: [circle] Evil plan
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 21:45:37 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Thomas Mangin wrote:

> To get proxying right is incredibly hard, We do not really want to change
> the focus of circle from P2P to proxy. But it is what is going to happen
> with that solution..

Is an http proxy that complex? I'm not really ready to write one, so i
guess i should shut up.

Been looking at protozilla a bit, it looks like there is a cross platform
javascript variant that just does some kind of url rewriting eg
circle-file:blibble -> http://localhost:29621/blibble. Couldn't get it
working on my machine though :-( However, we have the possibility of
hacking together a really stripped back javascript protozilla that just
does what we want and that does work on most platforms.

and njh wrote:

> It's going to be incredibly slow.  I'll try it when you've been using it
> for, hmmm, a week.

There's no technical reason it should be slow. The hashtable lookup need
not take more than a few seconds, and we can just download from the
original server while we're doing the lookup, or even just skip the lookup
on small files.

Hmm, i think i might have a go at getting this working with circleget
before tackling anything more ambitious.

Paul

IM: pfh on thecircle.org.au
Email: address@hidden
There is no conspiracy.